Monday, August 11, 2008

Engagement picture planning

We're having an engagement shoot on Thursday, and I'm so excited!

Because (as usual) J has a lot on his mind, I went ahead shopped for him last weekend. He got a great light blue button down shirt with very faint orange pinstripes -- on sale! He didn't think that he'd like it, but when he put it on he loved it. Cha-ching! One point for the fiance-bargain-shopper. He'll wear it untucked with rolled sleeves along with my favorite of his jeans - these beat-up ones that he was wearing when we met. He looks GREAT in them.

Now, on to the bigger decision: what will I wear? Initially, I'd planned to wear a black wrap shirt that has a very neat neckline. Then I did some 'net research (love to you, www.weddingbee.com). Evidently, wearing colors is recommended, and most commenters noted that clothing color turned out to be more important than the style.

Before we move on to pictures (yay!), let's talk a bit about my body. I'm 5'0", weigh about 120, and am very curvy. Very. Curvy. In fact, I discovered when I was measured for my dress that I'm a perfect hourglass - which means that I'm, um, top-heavy with a small waist and round butt. If I'm not careful about my clothing, I look a) pudgy, b) frumpy, or c) pregnant!

I'm planning to wear dark blue jeans that I already own, much like these:

Banana Republic jeans

I definitely need new shoes (right, ladies?), and I found these at Marshall's, of all places. The bargain-shopper in me is grinning like a fool, but now I'm not sure if I should be wearing a black shirt anymore.

Steve Madden Luvvy pump
Steve Madden Luvvy pump

So, I'm depending on you all to help me decide. Which do you like best?

A) I generally look good in wrap tops. This top is easily available and inexpensive (heart Target). I think it'll elongate my neck, and I can wear any ol' pair of interesting shoes (yay, shoes).

Target Isaac Mizrahi wrap shirt
Target Isaac Mizrahi wrap shirt

B) How cool is this look? I'm not sure I can pull it off, though my hair is short like the model. I think it's very Hepburn-ish, and I love, love, love the idea.

from Banana Republic
from Banana Republic

c) Also from BR, with whom I have a love-disappointment relationship (love the clothes, always a bit disappointed in the fit), is this top. Simple, sweet, nice color. Too simple? It definitely won't hang on my body like it does on the model, nor are my arms this thin.

from Banana Republic
from Banana Republic

What do you think? How did you decide what to wear for your engagement shoot? Did you do any research or make a list of specific pictures you wanted in advance?

No comments: