Monday, October 6, 2008

A cake strategy

The F can't picture things until he sees (you guessed it) pictures. Since I'm the researcher in our family, the system we've devised is that I create simple blog posts on our very own private blog on a specific topic (with relevant pictures), then we review them and make a decision.

When I asked J what he pictured when he thought about a wedding, he mentioned three things: a ceremony in the clearing, a "GQ looking" suit, and a cake. We'd already talked about the clearing and hadn't gotten to the suit (since I hadn't yet picked a dress), so we talked about cakes next.

Simplest
Simplest
Cake Buffet
Cake Buffet
Many small cakes (or cupcakes!)
Many small cakes (or cupcakes!)
More multiples
More multiples

There's also the traditional stacked cake, but not only is it more expensive, I don't think we have enough time...

Traditional stacked cake
Traditional stacked cake
Cupcakes! I told you.
Cupcakes! When I mentioned this option to him, he didn't believe me. "Cupcakes," he said, "Who has CUPCAKES instead of a real cake? And why?" Men.
Simple and monogrammed
Simple and monogrammed

First we picked a style, then we picked flavors, and then we had to decide whether to a) make very simple cakes ourselves, b) talk our friends into making very simple cakes, or c) try to order a last-minute cake from the yummy cake place downtown.

We chose the cake buffet and to bake cakes ourselves and freeze them then do icing the day of. We also chose these flavors:

  • Coconut frosting on white cake
  • Chocolate w/ fudge frosting
  • Carrot cake w/ cream cheese frosting
  • My friend Laura's lemon cake
  • Pastel de Tres Leches (we might buy this one)

Our backup plan is to ask very close friends to each bring a cake. We'll be prepared with vintage cake stands (which I've yet to buy) and just plop their contributions on each one! I'll admit, I love the idea of our closest friends bringing the cakes that symbolize our first meal as a married couple.

Did anyone else decide to go the DIY route with cakes? Any experiences with doing it successfully? {Check out this link... awesome!}

No comments: